New Builder License Courses
Qualifications for Residential Builder License Applications
Please note this information is provided solely to assist applicants with the process. Any relevant questions on the licensing and application process should be verified on the official website for new builder qualifications.
What do I need to do to apply for a license?
1. General contractor applicants must provide proof of 24 months experience managing or supervising residential construction within the last 5 years.
2. Applicants need to demonstrate competency by successfully completing approved training in 7 competency areas.
Here are the seven CHBA BC courses that meet the requirements (click to view the course descriptions).
Relevant enactments = BC Building Code - Single Family Dwelling
Construction management and supervision = Project Management & Site Supervision
Construction technology = Building Science for New Homes
Customer service and home warranty insurance = Service & Warranty
Financial planning and management = Financial Management
Legal issues = Construction Law
Business planning and management = Business Planning & Management
The student will be sent a textbook by mail in advance for all courses.
To pass the course, the student must:
- Successfully complete the online quizzes and reading materials through the CHBA BC Education Portal. Click here to access the portal.
- Submit the assignment(s) to the instructor by email, two weeks before the in-class session.
- Attend the one-day in-class session and successfully pass the final exam with a score of 80% or higher.
For only Building Science for New Homes, there is no online quizzes or assignments. To pass this specific course, students only attend a two-day in-class session and pass the exam with a score of 80% or higher.
Each course can be registered for online using this portal after creating an account. Students are required to set their own schedule for the courses - please schedule ample time between the course dates to allow yourself enough time to complete the additional requirements; charges will apply to change any course dates or to re-write any exams as per the CHBA BC Continuing Education Policy. If you are having difficulties with registration please email email@example.com or call 604-432-7112 ext. 323.
Nominee for Qualifications
Companies may nominate several individuals to meet the qualifications requirements on behalf of the company. Click here to visit the Licensing and Consumer Services website to learn about nominees.
Other Helpful Information
If you feel you have the requirements through other training, you can complete a Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR). Please note this process can take several months to complete and be evaluated due to the high volume of applicants. Please visit the Licensing and Consumer Services website to learn about the PLAR.